Written by Nina Lesowitz
As you know, 2017 is the 100th birthday of our organization and we want to share all the festivities with you!
The centennial programs and events happening throughout the year highlight the WNBA’s contributions to the book world. Click on the links to find out more about what is happening throughout the country. Note that you can purchase Centennial Celebration totes, t-shirts and the poster designed by WNBA-NYC member Kerstin Vogdes Deihn here. You will also be able to purchase our Centennial book in October.
WNBA Centennial Celebration Events and Awards:
- Bookwomen Speak: A year-long, chapter-by-chapter lecture series by women who have championed the value of books in our society. Our San Francisco chapter kicked off this series with national treasure Maxine Hong Kingston in conversation with Vanessa Hua.
- WNBA Second Century Prize: A grant to promote literacy and foster life-long reading. The Second Century Prize has been awarded to the Little Free Library, a nonprofit organization that promotes reading for all ages, but especially children, by building free book exchanges.
- Celebrating Women’s Voices: Two book lists—one in fiction/memoir/ poetry and one in nonfiction—that the WNBA community considers to be the most influential books penned by women. A related initiative is Books to Celebrate Women’s History Month, a book-a-day list, selected from the above, that was sent to Members of Congress, the administration, and President Trump in March.
- WNBA Award: The WNBA Award, established in 1940, is presented every second year to a “living American woman who derives part or all of her income from books and allied arts, and who has done meritorious work in the world of books beyond the duties or responsibilities of her profession or occupation.”
The WNBA is honored to announce two winners of the 2017 Centennial WNBA Award: Carla Hayden, 14th Librarian of Congress, and Louise Erdrich, author, bookstore owner, voice for indigenous communities. Centennial awards and prize will be presented at the gala in New York:
- Centennial Celebration: A celebration in New York City in October 2017
- Women in the Literary Landscape A Centennial Publication of the Women’s National Book Association: The book explores the history of women as leaders and innovators in the book world, with spotlights on the WNBA’s history. To be published October 2017.
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for Saturday, October 7, when SF Chapter hosts National Reading Group Month at Books Inc, Opera Plaza featuring nationally renowned authors, free book club materials, and others goodies.