WNBA, a national organization founded in 1917, exists to promote literacy, a love of reading, and women’s roles in the community of the book.
National: A network that brings together writers, authors, editors, publishers, librarians, readers, book sellers, distributors, event planners, social media managers, and more…! Networking with other WNBA chapters in major cities around the US helps publicize your book and expertise: Author Package, Bookwoman.
Educational: A community of the book that shares expertise online, through networking, workshops, and special events: SF Chapter Blog articles, newsletter.
Charitable: Literacy partnerships that allow members to share their love of reading and literacy skills with at risk communities.
San Francisco Chapter: 2012-13 Program
- National Reading Group Month, the organization’s annual signature event, this year on October 6th in collaboration with Litquake on their kick-off weekend at Books, Inc., Opera Plaza, featuring a panel of new authors. FREE
- CONNECT! Mixers each quarter, networking for Members Only, first one November 3rd. FREE.
2013: January in Berkeley, March in Marin, and June on the SF Peninsula.
- Holiday Party & Book Drive, Thursday, December 20, 2012, 6-8 pm, Members Only, Nob Hill, San Francisco
- San Francisco Writing Conference—volunteer positions for conference & WNBA exhibit table, February 14-17, 2013, Mark Hopkins Hotel
- Meet the Agents event in San Francisco, Saturday, April 13, 2013, at Swiss Louie Italian & Seafood Restaurant, Pier 39, San Francisco: Pitchorama with Agents, Editors, and Publishers
- Effie Lee Morris Children’s Lecture with the Friends of the San Francisco Public Library, Tuesday, April 30, 2013, Main Library, Reception and Lecture, Koret Auditorium, Eve Bunting, featured children’s author
- Literacy Partnership with the Living Room in Santa Rosa, a day program for homeless mothers and children–WNBA will pilot an Early Literacy program, 2013.